Party Wall Act Key Terms

Party Wall key terms you may encounter

Party Wall Surveyor: these are appointed by the building owner or adjoining owner should a dispute arise. Any person can act as a Party Wall Surveyor, however the building owner and the adjoining owner are not allowed to act for themselves.

The building owner and the adjoining owner/s can appoint separate surveyors or they can appoint one single chosen surveyor. If only the one surveyor is chosen, this is often called the 'agreed surveyor'.

Building owner: When referring to the building owner, it is often the person/company who are intending to carry out the works.

Adjoining owner: The adjoining owner is the owner of the property next door to that of the building owner. An adjoining owner can also be a leaseholder who has a lease in excess of a year.

Adjoining occupier: The person who has occupancy of the adjoining property that does not qualify as an adjoining owner.

Line of Junction:
the line of junction is commonly referred to as the boundary by many people. It is where the land of two adjoining properties meet.

Notices: The notice is served to the adjoining owner informing them of the works that are planned. Detailed in the notice is the name and address of the building owner, a description of the planned works and an approximate start date.

The Party Wall Act is not invoked unless the Notice is served on the adjoining owner.

Section One:
This part of the Act concerns works which are planned to happen on the line of junction. These types of works must have a notice period of a minimum of one month prior to the intended start date.

Section Two: This refers to works that are planned to happen involving the party wall between properties. A minimum of two months’ notice must be made before the works are planned to start.

Section Six: This is when excavations are due to take place within certain distances of the adjoining property and are planned to be carried out to certain depths.



Nene Construction Management Services Ltd 

The Rowans
332 Fulbridge Road

Tel: 01733 324500